Study in Canada

Live your academic dreams in Canada

Do you want to study in Canada in order to have a rewarding academic experience or to improve yourself in a field? There is a wide variety of study programs in Canada that will allow you to acquire a solid foundation in your field of study, whether at the professional, college or university level.

Before embarking on the immigration process to obtain a study permit, you will first need to obtain a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada. A designated learning institution is a school approved by the provincial or territorial government to host international students. All primary and secondary schools in Canada are designated learning institutions. To verify if a school is as Designated Learning Institution, you can visit the Government website. 

In Quebec, after obtaining a letter of admission from a designated learning institution, you will need to apply and obtain a temporary selection for studies also known as the “CAQ” (Certificat d’acceptation du Québec). The CAQ must be obtained before applying for a study permit.  

The CAQ can be granted to you if you meet the requirements imposed by the Government of Quebec. In particular, you will have to: demonstrate that you will receive an education that corresponds to the level of study for which you obtained the CAQ; make your studies your main activity in Quebec; maintain health and hospitalization insurance for the duration of your studies; and have the financial capacity to cover your tuition and living expenses.

To obtain a study permit, you must also prove that you are able to pay for your tuition fees, living expenses of yourself and any family member who is coming with you, and the return transportation to your country. Furthermore, you must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. You must also be in good health which is determined by the medical examination, and satisfy the immigration officer that you’ll leave Canada when you finish studying in the country. Some students do not require a study permit, such as students who attend short-term courses (six months or less), foreign representatives, members of foreign armed forces, and registered Indians in Canada. You can find out more about these exceptions in the IRCC website.  

There are some exceptions to obtaining a study permit. For example, when you undertake a study program of less than 6 months in Canada you do not need to obtain a study permit. Other circumstances may justify being exempted from applying for a study permit. To check if any exemptions applies to your situation, you can consult the government website.

The length of your study permit will depend on the length of your study program at a designated learning institution. You will also be given an additional 90 days to prepare for your departure from Canada, request an extension of your permit or a change in your status. If you plan on extended your stay in Canada, it is better to opt for a study program of at least 2 years, as this could open doors for you to obtain a post-graduation work permit and eventually help you in your efforts to apply for Canadian permanent residence.

The steps to obtain a study permit

If you have targeted Canada as the destination for your studies, we can assist you in your efforts to get here. The criteria are multiple and the stages are just as numerous.


Choose a study program and a learning institution

Obtain a letter of acceptance from a learning institution
Obtain a Quebec Acceptance Certificate ("CAQ")

Obtain a Study permit and submit biometrics

How can the Jurinovo team help me?

Contact us to help you start your academic journey in Canada.

Meet a lawyer