Visit Canada

Before entering Canada apply for a visitor's visa

Most people who want to visit Canada need a visitor’s visa. This type of visa will only be granted if certain conditions are met. Before booking a flight make sure you are aware of the requirements.

Before travelling to Canada, you should know the conditions imposed by the authorities and in particular whether need to apply for a visitor’s visa, an eTA or if a simple passport is sufficient. The documents required to enter Canada as a visitor depends on the purpose of your trip, your country of nationality, as well as the method of transportation. To find out if you need a visa or other official document allowing you to travel to Canada, you can answer a few questions on the Immigration and Citizenship Canada website.

You must meet basic requirements to travel to Canada and obtain a Visitor Visa. For example, you must hold a valid passport, be in good health, have no criminal or immigration-related convictions, convince an immigration officer that you have ties and will leave Canada at the end of your visit, and have enough money for your stay.


The amount of money you will need depends on how long you will stay and where you will be staying. You may also need to undergo a medical exam and submit an invitation letter from someone who resides in Canada.

Usually, you will be granted a visa for 6 months. However, you can request to be granted a longer period and the border services officer may decide to increase or decrease the validity period of your visa.

If you wish to request an extension of your visitor’s visa  you must submit an application within the recommended time limit, which is at least 30 days before your visa expires. You can also request the modification of the conditions of your stay to stay in Canada as a worker or student when, for example, you have obtained a letter of admission from an academic institution in Canada or when you have obtained a job offer from an employer in Canada.

Processing times may vary depending on the circumstances and especially the country from which you are making your request. The government provides you with an estimate of the delays on its website.

Processing application fees vary quite often.  In order to verify the current applicable amount, you can visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website

How can the Jurinovo team help me?

If you wish to be represented by a lawyer from our firm in your efforts to visit friends and family in Canada or to remain in Canada as a tourist, do not hesitate to contact us.


Meet a lawyer