Work in Canada

Applying for a work permit

Every year tens of thousands of temporary foreign workers are recruited by Canadian employers to work in Canada. There are various types of jobs that qualify for simplified applications when there is a labor shortage in Canada for a particular field or in a particular region.

Most foreign workers require a work permit in order to be hired by a Canadian employer. Before applying for a work permit, it is important to check whether you meet the requirements of the Canadian authorities, either as an employee or as a potential employer.

In order to obtain a work permit in Canada, you must convince the immigration authorities that you will leave Canada when your work permit expires. You will also need to prove that you have the financial means to support yourself and your family during your stay, that you do not have a criminal record and that you are in good health.

A work permit associated with a specific employer is a closed worked permit. Before applying you must obtain a job offer from a specific employer who will be ready to support you in your immigration process. The employer must then obtain the necessary authorizations in order to hire you as a temporary foreign worker (TFW). In most cases, the employer will have to apply for a Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to Service Canada and the Quebec authorities and obtain a favorable assessment.

A favorable LMIA will confirm that you are meeting a need in the province and that the employment will have a positive effect on the Canadian labor market. This confirmation will be issued if the employer demonstrates in particular that the wages and working conditions are similar to those offered to Canadian workers doing the same work, and the employer demonstrates that it is not possible to fill the position by hiring a Canadian or a permanent resident.

Other conditions apply and we can help you go through all stages of the process.

This is a work permit that grants you the right to work for any employer in Canada. This permit does not impose any obligation to first obtain a specific job offer with a particular employer.

You may be eligible for an open work permit, especially in the following cases:

  • You are an international student and you have graduated from a designated learning institution;
  • You have submitted an application for permanent residence in Canada and you have obtained a Quebec Selection Certificate (CSQ);
  • You are the spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker or foreign student;

There are some exceptions to obtaining a work permit. To check whether or not you need a work permit, complete the questionnaire available on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website.

You can also write to us for more information.

The International Experience Canada (IEC) program allows youth to travel and work in Canada. If you are aged between 18 and 35 years of age you could request a temporary work permit for a period of 12 to 24 months if you meet the requirements. The conditions depend on the program and the country. Canada has signed specific agreements with different countries. This type of work permit cannot be renewed or extended beyond its validity date. These programs include the Working Holiday Visa (WHV), the Young Professionals Program and international co-op internships.

How can the Jurinovo team help me?

Our legal team is equipped to help you prepare and submit all types of work permit applications. Many conditions apply and we can help you navigate through the different programs and options. Contact us today to schedule an initial consultation.

Meet a lawyer